Saturday, August 18, 2007

Teen Rehab at ECHO Malibu

Every parent who thinks that drug abuse and other life threatening behaviors simply can't happen with their child needs to watch Thirteen. My two girls were only eleven when I saw that movie and I was pretty darn frightened. It was a good reminder to stay vigilant. The first defense against adverse outcomes with your teenage kids is for you to always be aware of what they are doing and with whom. GPS seems like a reasonable thing to me in this day and age.

Despite a parents best efforts, kids do get in trouble with drugs. A Teen Rehab facility like Echo Malibu has a program specifically designed for teens. The worst train wreck of a teen that I ever had to deal with was my girlfriend's ex best friend. I was a residence assistant at a college. She was an alcoholic and she was acting out sexually. She was also very withdrawn and depressed when she wasn't drunk and acting out. She ended up going to a publicly funded residential detox program. She later told my girlfriend that it mostly consisted of playing cards with creepy old men. I think it at least had some negative reinforcement, and it gave her the chance to get over the physical addiction. I hope she has figured out how to live a happy life by now. An effective program like the one at Echo Malibu can give your kid the life skills to be happy while they still are a teen.

No comments: