Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Insurance is Like a Safety Net

I think most songwriters go through a phase of using the occasional circus reference. Some painters fall into the trap of drawing sad clowns. On rare occasions, a songwriter will even write a song about a painting of a sad clown.

It was inevitable that I would one day make a blog post that uses circus metaphors. The devil-may-care red-neck driving around the roads without car insurance is like a tight rope walker without a net. The circus performer may be a little bit more aware of the risk because of the obvious visible cues, and the audience reactions.

With a driver who has an uninsured accident, there is a good chance that someone in the audience is going to get hurt. That sucks. When there is insurance, a drivers liability can be taken care of.

The Thrifty Scot has some very practical tips on his site. Using lower Insurance premiums as an incentive to quit smoking seems like a great idea.

Insuring your downloaded music seems a bit ridiculous to me. I suppose if you were a DJ it might make sense. I would rather chalk it up to fate if they were destroyed. I would take up whistling.

Reading the article about parking lot accidents brought back stressful memories. I was driving a brand new car that I had borrowed and this kid in the back seat of a car next to me in a fast food restaurant slammed his door into mine. His mother yelled at him causing him to inexplicably close his door and do it AGAIN. To top things off, the whole family then proceeded into the restaurant as if nothing had happened. I sat and gathered my thoughts for a few minutes before going in and insisting on getting their insurance information. It was my parents new car, so I really had to be a stickler. My parents ended up not bothering with the repair.

No comments: