Friday, April 27, 2007

Toying with Science

My mother was talking to me on the phone when my daughters were having a long visit with her. She wanted to let me know about an incident that concerned her. My daughter was playing with a magnifying glass in the back room and set a piece of paper on fire.

I was concerned. I assured my mom that we didn't have any big magnifying glasses around our house. There was a small part of me that was pleased that my girl was experimenting with the forces of nature rather than watching TV.

I was always experimenting when I was a kid. I was never lucky enough to have actual science kits. I had gun powder for a few days until my parents found out that I had gun powder.

ScienceKits.com didn't waste time deciding on a site name. They are a site that has science kits that young people can use to have fun learning about science.

I like the idea of the water testing kits. We have two water sources at our house, a rain fed reservoir under the house, and a treated municipal water supply. My landlord offered his opinion that the reservoir was safe to drink and I have been curious to see if there was a measurable difference in quality.

My son is not that interested in Natural Sciences. He would probably enjoy this Learn to Solder Kit with Soldering Iron and Wire Cutters. He built a lighthouse at his school and he was fascinated with the basic concept of the electrical circuit.

No comments: