Friday, January 12, 2007

Urban Mythology

I can't remember if I ever blogged about this issue before. I want to book end the discussion by stating clearly that the myth is absolutely false and it has no basis in fact whatsoever.

So here is the story, there was an e-mail hoax a few years ago expressing outrage at anti-semitic remarks that Shakira made live on MTV.

The ADL felt it was necessary for them to issue their own statement about the fabricated e-mail and about the calls to boycott Shakira.

I weighed in on a rumor about Ciara being biologically male in another blog and the ignorance and hatred in the comments was amazing. To be fair, half of the haters were directing their hate towards the haters (now I'm confused). I guess the reason that the Shakira rumor was easily diffused was because it was easy to inarguably dissprove. Ciara isn't going to pull a Britney just to dispell a rumor, which incidentally probably sustained her career more than hurt it.

No comments: