Monday, March 05, 2007

Point of Sale Software



Sometimes unexpected things will really make me stop and think. A fellow blogger had a post up celebrating his 24th birthday and he put up a video. I was expecting to see some crazy party footage, but it turned out to be video camera footage of him as a newborn baby.

Here is how I am trying to relate this to point of sale software. When I was a kid, it would have astounded me if the Mom and Pop running the local store had been able to operate a computer. These days however, the Mom and Pop are closer to my age and they are just as likely to be comfortable around computers as not.

The great thing about the point of sale software from MerchantOS is that it is made to serve the needs of small business. I think it is great that programs are designed to run well on slightly outdated computers. Things like gaming tend to drive the hardware market and it is counter productive for a company to design something as practical as POS software so that it requires the current specs. A business that is getting started with POS computers can use a second hand PC to run it. I used to work at a big production facility that had a 486 handling most of the automation, it was all that was needed.

Web-based POS software has some extra benefits. I like the idea of off-site access. You could have a family meal at a reasonable time and then do your end of day routine for the store after the dishes are cleared away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting post about pos software; I'll have to save it for future reference.