Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The iPhone Fascinates Me

I am not a geeky type of person. But when faced with a page full of new Cingular phones and asked to choose a favorite, I could not stop myself from choosing the iPhone. It's just so new.

I think novelty appeals to me in a vary visceral way. I am going to move past that and try to examine the iPhone in a more detached technical way now.

Cingular is now the new AT&T, and they have both the 4GB and the 8GB iPhone from Apple.

What is an iPhone? An iphone is a revolutionary mobile phone. It also functions as a widescreen iPod with touch controls. On top of those great uses it is also a cutting edge Internet communications device with, web browsing, email, and maps. iPhone features an completely new UI based on a large multi-touch display and radically new software. Apple says that it completely redefines what you can do on a mobile phone.

I think that it was marketing genius as much as necessity that accounts for the appearance of the iPhone. It doesn't look like a phone. I hope that there will be some app's that allow you to customize the look of the screen icons. Apple is very much a closed shop as far as software with this product.

What are other people saying? People who got to use an iPhone ahead of its release think that they are very special. They also REALLY like the phone. From what I can find, it is just amazing how well it works. The quality of the graphics are noteworthy, you can supposedly read the small print on a web page.

I can only imagine what it would be like to have one of these babies and live somewhere with lots of wifi. We truly do live in interesting times, and it's not just because of all the scary stuff.

No comments: