Saturday, February 03, 2007

My Latino Friends

I worked in the specialty coffee industry for a couple of years and I met some really cool people from the Latino communities of the USA, and also from some of the World's coffee producing nations.

I met a lot of young, smart people who were making their careers in either the technical side of making great coffee, or the marketing of coffee. I made a friend, and had an anecdote for life, when I was a volunteer for this big international coffee tasting event. I was one of many people who were exactingly making hundreds of cups of coffee for the tasters. It was a job that was mostly busy, but involved some standing around waiting for things to boil as well. My table partner was a stylishly dressed 20 something Puerto Rican. I was to soon find out that he was a comedian. When he found out that I was Canadian he told me that he had heard this news story about how the low-carb diet craze had caused a huge drop in Maple Syrup sales and that as a result there were Maple trees blowing up all over Canada. The funny part of the joke was that he had a captive audience and he was very persistent that is must be true. I asked him why they didn't have dairy cows blowing up in Wisconsin during the low-fat craze and he thought that maybe they had been and that there was some kind of cover up.

But this post isn't just to talk about my Latino friends, i want to talk about how Latino-Friends.com is an all-in-one Latino Community website. It's like a MySpace but it is specifically for the Latino Community. I like the layout of the site. It is very new. They are looking for bloggers to help fill up their blog section. Go check it out.

No comments: